South Carolina Light Houses: Haig Point Lighthouse
Haig Point Lighthouse, on Daufuskie Island near Hilton Head, South Carolina, was built in 1872 and now serves as a Victorian Bed and Breakfast Inn.
The Haig Point Lighthouse, located on the Daufuskie Island just a couple miles from the south end of Hilton Head, South Carolina was built in 1872. Also known as the Daufuskie Island Range Beacon, the lighthouse was built on the grounds of a former plantation. Constructed of wood, its markings are white with a red roof. It once included a wharf and a boathouse as well as the lighthouse itself, but both fell into major disrepair and were never renovated.
Called a rear range light, the Haig Point Lighthouse worked in conjunction with another smaller light 75 miles away. When the two lights were lined up, ships could determine their position in the channel. Several like it were used to guide ships into the ports of Savannah, Georgia and Charleston, South Carolina through the Intracoastal Waterway. Since the shoals were constantly drifting and changing, the channel would also change. To accommodate for this the smaller light was built on rails so it could easily be moved to reflect these changes in the channel.
The Haig Point Lighthouse was and still is a tenacious one. The smaller light used in conjunction with Haig Point no longer exists, nor do any of the other range lighthouses that were once in this area. This is the only one that remains. Since 1873 the Haig Point Lighthouse has withstood powerful storms from the Atlantic, earthquakes, and the U.S. Civil War. It was deactivated from 1934 to 1987, when lightkeepers restored the lighthouse under the guidance of William Phillips, the lead architect of Colonial Williamsburg. The two-story, wooden Victorian house supports a square, forty-foot tower and now serves as a Bed & Breakfast Inn. The light is once again operational, serving as a private aid to navigation.