Sights And Beaches You Don'T Want To Miss In Hanalei, Hawaii
What are some of the sights and beaches you don't want to miss in Hanalei, Hawaii? What makes them unique?
The narrow one-lane bridge is like a gateway to the enchanted coast of Hanalei. Hanalei has a lot to offer for such a small place. If you blink twice, you would be in and out of the town that fast! yet, you'll find a small shopping center, some terrific restaurants, beach and ocean activities, historical sites, and a cultural art center.
Some sites you'll want to scope out:
* overlooking the bay on a tall bluff are the remains of an old russian fort. It's difficult to find, but knowing it's there adds a lot to your visit.
* Hanalei museum, one of hawaii's funkiest museums, is on the left at you enter the town. (be sure to go around back and check out the little outhouse-like shed that holds a few items. Purely a cultural experience!)
* Native hawaiian trading and cultural center is home to some authentic hawaiian crafts. But beware; don't get caught up with the touristy junk items available here. Upstairs is a fine co-op where local artists display and sell their arts and crafts.
* Waioli mission house museum is located on the way out of town. This is a must stop! you'll learn an unbelievable amount of history and anecdotes, not only about the mission house, but about the entire area and hawaii in general. If you're there on a sunday morning, do yourself a favor and go to the 10 a.m.. Service where you will be uplifted by a choir of rich voices singing enchanting hymns in Hawaiian.
Beaches in Hanalei
* Hanalei bay is known as one of the pacific's most perfect anchorages as it is still a favorite port of call for world-class yachts. It's a gorgeous bay and the hanalei river empties into it. The bay provides excellent sailing, surfing, and swimming.
* Lumahai beach, "twist of fingers, " is a beautiful beach but the riptides here are fierce. A word of caution - don't enter the beach unless the waters are very calm. Visiting hanalei will not only give you a truly magnificent bay, but it will provide the epitome of a north shore laid-back village. If you were forced to choose the most beautiful bay in all of Hawaii, Hanalei would definitely be one of your finalists.