Wedding superstitions have been around for years.
There are many superstitions that have been around for years, relating to almost every subject under the sun. As most of them go, no one can actually tell you where or when they originated. However, they do hold some weight for the most superstitious of the population.
The most popular and heard of superstitions for weddings are:
1. The day of the week that you get married. Despite almost all couples opting for a Saturday, the day of the week you choose is said to have some relevance to your future:
Monday brides will be healthy
Tuesday brides will be wealthy
Wednesday brides to best of all
Thursday brides will suffer losses
Friday brides will suffer crosses
Saturday brides will have no luck at all
2. The month you choose also is said to have significance:
Marry when the year is new
Always loving, kind and true
When February birds do mate
You may wed or dread your fate
If you wed when March winds blow
Joy and sorrow both you’ll know
Marry in April when you can –
Joy for maiden and for man
Marry in the month of May
You will surely rue the day
Marry when the June roses blow
Over land and sea you’ll go
They who in July do wed
Must labour always for their bread
Whoever wed in august be
Many a change you sure to see
Marry in September’s shine
Your living will be rich and fine
If in October you do marry
Love will come, but riches tarry
If you wed in bleak November
Only joy will come, remember
When December snows fall fast
Marry and true love will last.
3. The best man should ensure the good luck of the couple by not allowing the groom to turn back for any reason after starting the ceremony.
4. It is considered good luck for the fully attired bride to glance in her mirror just once before leaving for her wedding, but bad luck to return to look again after she has left the bedroom to commence her journey to the wedding.
5. In these modern times, brides are choosing many different colours for their dresses, not the traditional white, ivory or cream. However, the following superstition is still very popular:
White – you’ve chosen all right
Blue - your love is true
Pearl - you’ll live in a twirl
Brown – you’ll live out of town
Red – you’ll wish yourself dead
Yellow – you’re ashamed of your fellow
Green – Ashamed to be seen
Pink – your fortunes will sink
Grey you’ll live far away
Black – you’ll wish yourself back.
6. Wearing a garter is believed to bring good luck.
7. Buying the engagement and wedding rings at the same time is sad to be bad luck. Wearing the wedding ring before the ceremony is also considered bad luck.
8. To wear an opal in your wedding ring or otherwise, unless you were born in October is said to bring bad luck.
9. It is considered good luck if the song of a bird awakens the bride. Sunny weather is also a sign of good luck.
10. Wearing anything green is considered to be unlucky.