Decorative Garden Sticks
How to make a decorative garden stick using mosaic techniques. The garden stick can be used to label plants or as an accessory.
Garden sticks can be used to label plants or as a decorative accessory. They can be made in a variety of shapes and sizes. Here are 2 basic concepts…
What you need…
1 tub of tile grout
Mosaic tiles or decorative stones (these can be bought at most craft stores)
1 wood stick or dowel rod
1 wood cut out in the shape of you design
School glue or hot glue
This is good for labeling plants.
1. You will need to have a wide wood stick (about 1 ½ “ to 2” wide). The length will depend on how high you want it to stick out of the ground.
2. With a pencil write the plant name at the top of the stick.
3. Be sure to leave space in between all tiles.
4. Glue on tiles to form the name in 1 color.
5. Glue on tiles surrounding the name of the plant. The name will be easier to read if you make these a contrasting color from the name.
6. If you have room, make a border in a 3rd color.
7. Apply the grout making sure to fill in all areas in between the tiles.
8. Let the grout dry for about 5 minutes.
9. With a dry terry cloth, remove the excess grout and buff the tiles. You can use a little water if it is easier.
10. Put the stick into the ground.
This is good to add a larger design to your garden.
1. You will need a wood cut out in the shape or your design. You can get wood cut outs in many shapes at a craft store. You can also use square or rectangular shapes cut out of ¼” plywood.
2. With a pencil, draw the desired design.
3. Glue on the tiles following the design.
4. Apply the grout making sure to fill in all areas in between the tiles.
5. Let the grout dry for about 5 minutes.
6. With a dry terry cloth, remove the excess grout and buff the tiles. You can use a little water if it is easier.
7. Attach a wood stick or dowel rod with epoxy to the wood cut out.
8. Put the stick in to the ground.
Some more ideas…
1. Use large beads, sea shells, marbles or stones instead of tiles.
2. Tie and glue a ribbon around the stick.
3. Look in clip art books for easy designs.
4. Bright colors will look best.
5. Add dye to the grout to get more color.
6. Store inside during the winter months.