Perfect Spaghetti Bolognese
Learn to create perfect pasta with this tasty, best ever recipe for Spaghetti bolognese, probably the most famous Italian food.
Spaghetti Bolognese is probably the most famous pasta dish to have come from Italy. Here I give you the best ever recipe for great tasting Italian food.
INGREDIENTS (for four people)
230g minced (ground) beef
230g minced (ground) pork
3 rashers back bacon, diced
1 large onion
1 500g carton passata (sieved tomatoes)
1 400g can plum tomatoes
200g pack of field mushrooms
1tablespoon dry mixed Italian herbs
1 teaspoon of salt
½ teaspoon sugar
3 bay leaves
1 tablespoon of Worcester sauce
1 tablespoon olive oil
300g spaghetti or other pasta if preferred
You will also need two large saucepans, one for cooking the sauce and one for the spaghetti.
1. First, heat the oil in one of the large saucepans, and sweat the onions for about 6 minutes, but do not allow to brown. Then add the diced bacon and cook for a further minute.
2. Add the minced (ground) meats, turn the heat up to high and quickly brown off the meat.
3. When the meat has browned you can begin to add the ingredients that give the spaghetti Bolognese it’s saucy consistency. First add the carton of passata, and then the plum tomatoes. Bring to the boil.
4. When boiling, add the mushrooms, mixed Italian herbs, salt, sugar bay leaves and Worcester sauce. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for at least two hours, preferably three.
5. Pasta is a simple and healthy Italian food. It should be cooked al dente. To do this bring a large pan of salted water to the boil, add the pasta and boil for about ten minutes, then drain in a colander.
To serve the dish spoon the Spaghetti Bolognese sauce over the pasta. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if desired. Then just sit down and enjoy your authentic Italian food.