Low Carb Mardi Gras Chicken Recipe
This quick and easy chicken recipe is perfect for any low-carb diet plan! Great for Atkins, Heller's, Sugar-Busters and Carb-Addicts diets!
This quick and delicious recipe fits any low-carb plan! It’s an attractive-looking dish, too!
8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces (Any cut may be used, but white meat looks nice in this recipe.)
2 oz. oil or butter
2 cups diced zucchini
1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
1/2 cup diced yellow bell pepper
1/2 cup diced onion
1 cup diced celery
3 medium fresh tomatoes, peeled and diced with liquid (may substitute 1 14.5 oz. can of peeled, diced tomatoes)
1 cup water
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sayenne pepper (Use more or less for desired “heat.”)
1/2 tsp. black pepper
3 packets artificial sweetener (Choose a kind that maintains its sweetness with high heat.)
6 medium zucchini, cut into matchstick pieces
2 oz. butter
1 lemon, cut into 8 wedges
1. Brown the chicken pieces in the oil or butter. Remove chicken with a slotted spoon and set aside.
2. In the same pan, saute zucchini, bell peppers, onion, and celery until tender.
3. Add tomatoes, water (if using canned tomatoes, omit water), seasonings, and artificial sweetener.
4. Bring to a boil.
5. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
6. Add chicken and cook uncovered on low heat for 5 minutes or until most liquid is cooked off.
7. Saute matchstick zucchini in butter until it is tender and slightly golden.
8. Serve chicken-vegetable mixture over matchstick zucchini. Squeeze lemon juice over the top of each serving.
Yield: 8 servings at 8 grams carbohydrate per serving