Crepes Florentine is wonderful recipe that contains a lot of vegetables. Here is a dish that is quite out of the ordinary to serve for dinner.
What a wonderful recipe this is for serving crepes for dinner!
2 lbs fresh spinach
4 Tbsp butter
1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
6 Tbsp flour
3 cups milk
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp bottled hot red-pepper sauce
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
1/2 lb mushrooms, chopped (2 cups)
3 Tbsp butter
1/4 cup heavy cream, whipped
Sauteed whole mushrooms, (optional)
crepes (separate recipe)
1. Trim stems and coarse ribs from spinach; wash leaves well. Place in large kettle with just the water that clings to the leaves; add 1 tsp salt. Steam covered, 3 to 4 minutes, or just until leaves are wilted; drain well. Chop with knife on chopping board.
2. Heat 4 Tbsps butter in large saucepan; stir in onions; saute until tender, but not brown, about 10 minutes. Stir in flour, and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute; add milk gradually. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and bubbles 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in salt, red pepper sauce and cheese. Reserve 1/2 cup sauce for topping.
3. Heat remaining butter in skillet; add mushrooms; saute, stirring often, until very lightly browned. Stir into cheese sauce along with spinach.
4. Prepare crepes (see recipe below)
5. Spread about 1/4 cup filling on each crepe; roll up. Arrange in shallow baking dish.
65. Bake crepes, covered, in 350 degree oven, for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, fold whipping cream into reserved cheese sauce; spoon over crepes. Run dish under broiler to brown and glaze slightly, 3 to 4 minutes. Garnish with sauteed mushrooms if you wish.
1 cup milk
3/4 cup water
1 and 3/4 cup sifted all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp vegetabe oil
1. Combine eggs, milk, water, flour, salt and oil in a medium size bowl. beat with a rotary beater until smooth.
2. Heat a 7 or 8 inch skillet. Brush lightly with oil. Pour in batter, a 1/4 cup at a time; quickly tilt pan so batter spreads and covers bottom. Cook over medium high heat until underside is browned; turn and brown other side.
3. As crepes are cooked, stack on a plate with paper towel between each.