Great gumbo recipe! try this...you won't be disappointed.
Pork, chicken, or shrimp, or any combination of the 3.
4 lbs chicken (Note: Use less of each if
4 lbs pork steak you use a combination.)
5 lbs jumbo shrimp
2 tbsp cajun seasoning
1 tsp seasoned salt
1 tbsp black pepper
3 stalks celery chopped
1 green pepper, diced
1 med onion, diced
1 tbsp vegetable oil
4 tbsp flour
water, about 12 cups
2 cups white rice
1. Heat vegetable oil in frying pan over medium high heat. Add flour, stirring constantly until the two have mixed, but not burning. It should come out a dark brown color. Add 1 cup of water gradually, stirring to let the flour mixture--commonly called a roux--mix into the water. It should be runny.
2. Add the roux mixture to 5 cups of water and add celery, bell pepper, and onion. Steam for 5 minutes over medium heat.
3. Add seasonings and let simmer for 10-15 minutes on low.
4. Cook meat. Boil the chicken for 45 minutes. Bake the pork steak on 425 for 30 minutes. Boil the shrimp on medium high for 15-20 minutes.
5. Add meats to the pot of vegetables, adding 4 more cups of water. Let simmer on medium low until the mix thickens, about 60-90 minutes.
6. Cook rice in 3 cups of water for 20 minutes.
7. Optional: Add rice to gumbo or serve as a side dish.