Old Fashioned Snicker Doodles
How to Make Old-Fashioned Snicker Doodles, easy to follow recipe
½ Cup (1 stick) Unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 Large Egg
¾ Cup granulated sugar
1 Tablespoon milk
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon cream of tartar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon of salt
2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
¼ teaspoon baking soda
What separates this snicker doodle recipe is that they are always rolled or dredged in cinnamon and sugar before baking. Instead of baking power, this recipe uses the old-fashioned combination of cream of tartar and baking soda, typical of old fashioned cake and cookie recipes.
1. In a mixing bowl, mix together ½ cup butter and ¾ cup granulated sugar until smooth.
2. Add in egg, milk, and vanilla and blend.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together 1 ½ cup flour ½ teaspoon cream of tartar, ¼ teaspoon baking soda, and ¼ teaspoon salt and add to the mixture. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour until dough is firm enough to handle.
4. Heat oven to 375
5. On a plate, mix 2 tablespoons of sugar with 1 tablespoon of cinnamon. Scoop and roll the dough into 1 ½ - inch balls; then roll in cinnamon sugar to coat all sides. Arrange sugarcoated balls on ungreased cookie sheets, spacing them 2 ½ inches apart.
6. Bake until edges of cookies are firm to the touch, about 12 minutes (don’t overbake)
7. Using a spatula, transfer cookies to a rack and let cool.
Makes about 14 cookies