Bar-B-Que Chicken Recipe
Chicken can be bar-b-qued any time of the year. This indoor bar-b-que makes a quick and easy meal using a microwave oven and the broiler of a regular oven.
Bar-B-Que chicken is an American delicacy enjoyed mostly during the summer, outdoor cooking season. Well, you don’t have to wait for summer anymore! If you own a microwave and a conventional oven with a broiler, you can have bar-b-que chicken any time of the year. Here’s what else you need:
Chicken pieces, thawed, with or without skin
One bottle of your favorite bar-b-que sauce
Salt and pepper
Non-stick cooking spray
Broiler pan with slotted shelf
1. Rinse chicken thoroughly, remove skin if desired. Arrange on microwave-safe plate, about one inch apart.
2. Cover lightly with plastic wrap. Microwave on high for approximately 3 minutes (900-watt oven). You may need to adjust time according to your microwave wattage. The chicken should have some obviously cooked places in the center of each piece, pink on the sides.
3. Turn the chicken and repeat #2. The chicken should be almost done. It should look cooked all over, but bleeds slightly when speared with a knife or fork to the bone.
4. Turn oven broiler on at about 500 degrees. Do not turn all the way to high or you may sear the chicken.
5. Spray a broiler pan with non-stick cooking spray inside and out. Cover the top with aluminum foil and cut slits where the slots are using a knife. Spray foil with cooking spray. This step reduces messy clean up after broiling.
6. Arrange microwave-cooked chicken on broiler pan foil. Season with salt and pepper, and slather on the bar-b-que sauce. Place on top rack in oven, about 4-6” from heat source. Cook 3-5 minutes. Do not let bar-b-que sauce burn. When it starts to sizzle and turn brown, remove from oven.
7. Turn chicken over and repeat #6. Chicken is done when no bleeding appears when speared to the bone. If you think chicken is not quite ready, pop it in the microwave for an extra minute or two.
This method takes a mere 15 minutes! Complemented with your favorite side dishes, bar-b-que chicken is as quick as it is easy to prepare. Your family will love it, and no one will be able to tell it wasn’t grilled!