Computer Virus Prevention
Five steps on safe computing... how to ensure that your computer is safe from viruses and trojan horses, and to know that it performs on its highest peak.
Five steps to safe computing:
1. Install anti-virus software and keep it up to date by periodically downloading the latest virus definitions from the software vendor's Web site.
2. Back up your files regularly. If a virus deletes some files, you can easily restore the originals.
3. Be skeptical of unsolicited e-mails and don't let curiosity get the better of you. If the message is too good to be true - if dozens of people suddenly want to tell you they love you, for example - then it probably is.
4. Ensure there are no security vulnerabilities in your operating system and applications like e-mail programs. Companies like Microsoft regularly offer patches on their Web sites that users download to plug security holes.
5. If you have an always-on connection to the Internet via a cable modem or a digital-subscriber-line modem (or one of those high-speed connections), install a personal firewall that stops hackers from secretly breaking into your computer.